Tuesday 30 September 2014

02 Oct 1820




Barbuda Octor 2nd 1820
Sir.
  I have great satisfaction in being able to inform you that the weather continues as favourable as could be wished for, we have had almost constant rains since my last of the 4th instant in fact sometimes more than I liked, for on yesterday week there fell in fifteen minutes three & half inches of water; it came from the North West, but was by no means general; at half a mile distant from my house both to the South & East not a drop fell. On Friday night last we had a very general rain, and for a long continuance which is laid all the low lands under water, but as we have had so long a drought I trust it will soon be off without doing the Corn any injury; it is now so wet we cannot put a Hoe into it. These are the heaviest rains we have had since the year 1809, and as we have a much larger quantity of land planted then was ever before in this Island I trust the Crops will be proportionate. The Negro Grounds which are a great help are also looking well, little has been got from them for the last two years in consequence of the droughts, and the Gail of last year which destroyed all their fences, and although they were immediately put up, yet it could not be done so effectually is to prevent that Cattle from frequently breaking into them.
We had a pretty smart wind on the night of Tuesday last but not enough to do any injury.
We have now a prospect of an abundant Hay harvest which we very much want being quite out not having been able to make any the last two years, and therefore trust you will be good enough to send the Scythes I mentioned in my last by the first opportunity. As yet it has not been in our power to do anything to get their Cattle into the enclosures, but as soon as our Horses gain a little more strength we will endeavour to do so. The Cattle are picking up as well as I could expect, they were a great many of them very low, but I am happy to say considering every thing our losses have been trifling. I was much afraid of the young grass, but we have scarcely lost any thing since the rains have not in; there is every prospect of more rain but I shall be glad to dispense with that for the next three or four weeks. The Negroes are healthy and I trust the water will not lay long enough on the Ground to effect them. I remain
                                                                                Sir
                     Your Most Obedient Humble
                                  Servant
               (signed) John James





Reference: JJ269 Robson Lowe collection on microfilm 24995, University of Texas at Austin, Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment