Saturday 21 June 2014

06 June 1818




Antigua June 6th 1818

Sir.
   Since I had the pleasure of addressing you (on the first instant(?)) We have received ten Dogs four from London by the Ship Cato & six from Bristol by the Admiral Rowley, the former with the exception of one are rather old, but the latter are very fine dogs; I have not yet used them, as I wish them to be somewhat used to the Climate before they are exposed too much to the heat of the Sun; and hitherto we have been extremely dry, the first Rain we have had for some months was last week, and yesterday we had more, which has enabled me to plant some Corn, Yams, & Cotton, which I shall continue to do as long as the ground remains wet enough.  The Dogs have arrived very opportunately, I mentioned in my last that I expected a heavy demand from the Estates for Cattle for the next Crop, since which the demand has been made, (certainly sooner than I expected,) with a desire that they may be sent as soon as possible, one vessel load consisting of twenty has been sent, and when the vessel can be spared from the Estates duty, more a ready to go; the demand is as follows.  Oxen wanted for Sir Christopher B. Codrington’s Windward Estates, 24 Bettys Hope, 20 Garden, 12 New Work, 12 Old Cotton, 68 in all.  Bettys Hope 9th May 1818 this number with what have already been sent will make one hundred and fourteen within a few months, and six to Skerritts will make a Total of 120; it will therefore I fear leave me but few to dispose of for some time; in fact I have been obliged to refuse some offers to purchase till your Estates are supplied.  I have reason also to suspect that the annual demand will be considerable.
  I am happy to say what Cattle have been sent have been approved of, as will appear by the following extracts from two of Mr. Osborns Letters the first dated Feby 11th 1818 says “Many thanks for the Cattle you sent over they are such as to Credit to your choice as well as the plan they come from” the other dated the 20th of last month says “Cattle I am glad to say arrived safe and are general satisfaction, as I am sure the others will also when they come”  I merely send these extracts to show that the Cattle sent to your Estates have uniformly been good.  For some time past we have been so very dry that I have been under the necessity of having different parties in the Woods cutting Bush &c for the stock, which the late rains will enable me to discontinue, the Stock notwithstanding are in pretty good order.  The Island Accounts shall all be made up to the 30th of this month, and forwarded by the first vessel that sails after that period.  I am
Sir
Your Most Obedt Humble
   Servant
(signed) John James





Reference: JJ267 Robson Lowe collection on microfilm 24995, University of Texas at Austin, Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment