Saturday 22 March 2014

21 Apr 1817



Barbuda April 21st 1817

Sir.

    Herewith you will receive a Bill drawn by Sir Henry Martin, on Sir T: Byam Martin for £116: 17:4 Sterling being the amount of Oxen & Asses sold him from this Island.  Also the duplicates of the two Bills sent you in my last of 16th March.
  I am now shearing the Sheep a second time since my return here, and am happy to say the Shepherds report the wool to be better than it was the last time; the whole will be shipped on board the Bristol Volunteer, she will not leave Antigua for some time.  What Cotton & Turtle shell I have shall be sent to London by the ship Killenbeck, which will sail in about 10 days.  By the ships about to sail I shall send you six Turtle, but as yet I cannot say by what ships they will go.
  When I last wrote we were very dry, but I am happy to say that on Sunday the 13th Instant we had some good rains, the Island is therefore at this moment very green, and our stock in good order.  I have engaged more Oxen, and hope to be enabled by the next Packet to send you another Bill for nearly the amount of the one now sent.  I am now preparing all the Land I can to plant provisions as soon as the rainy months commence; which are now extremely scarce and dear at Antigua.  Yesterday morning an American Brig with Flour & Corn Meal got on Shore on the South side of the Island, but it being nearly Calm she soon got off again, having received no injury she proceeded on her voyage to St. Croix.

           I am
Sir
Your Most Obedient
Servant
(signed) John James





Reference: Gloucestershire Records Office, Microfilm no.351, Section no.6, D1610 C24

No comments:

Post a Comment