Saturday 22 March 2014

16 Mar 1817



                Barbuda March 16th 1817
Sir
   Inclosed you have two Bills drawn by Willm Gunthorpe, one as attorney to Alice Eliot on Messrs Plummer Barham  & Co London for £284: 9:3. The other on Messrs S & C Turner for £100 for the Bills I have given at the rate of £218 per cent an enormous rate of Exchange, the greatest part of these Bills is for Oxen sold Mr Gunthorpe. I trust by the next Packet to be able to send you more Bills as by that time if I can get one of the vessels I shall have completed my engagement of Cattle with Sir Henry Martin for which he is to give me Bills immediately.
  I have now sent to Mr Ick sixty thousand pounds of yams which @ 30 (shillings) per cwt will amount to two thousand Dollars, I shall also be able to send them four or five hundred Bushels of Corn. We are now getting very dry, but have still a good deal of grass on this Island, & therefore hope we shall not fail of fodder this year.
  On the night of Wednesday last a large ship from Demera bound to Liverpool called the Braganza laden with sugar & Coffee got on shore on the Island, but fortunately for her not on the Rocks, she therefore got off the next morning, before our Boats could get to her; & having received no damage she has proceeded for England.  The Bills I now forward you were brought to me by the Boats which came from Antigua to enquire about the Braganza & returns immediately, and as the Packet has already left Antigua our vessels which are carrying sugar will not be here before the Boat follows, I have therefore written this in haste that you may get the Bills by this Packet.   I am
Sir
your most Obedt Humble
Servant
(signed) John James





 Reference: Gloucestershire Records Office, Microfilm no.351, Section no.6, D1610 C24

No comments:

Post a Comment