Saturday 29 March 2014

09 July 1817



Barbuda July 9th 1817
Sir.
    On the fourth Inst I wrote you inclosing a Bill of lading for six Bales of Wool which is on board the ship Bristol Volunteer, she was to be ready to sail tomorrow.  I now find the Packet has been at Antigua, I therefore inclose you the seconds of the six Bills of Exchange, the first of which was sent to you in my Letter of 14th June; and as it is probable that Packet may arrive in England before the Volunteer I have also inclosed a duplicate of the Bill of Lading for the Wool.  I have also sent by the Volunteer to Turtle and a Barrel of Cashew Seeds.
  Altho I wrote you about the Wool on the 14th June, I think it necessary to mention again that the Bale No.6 is the last shorn, and that there is another Bale, the Number of which I do not know, which was shorn in October last, the Wool in the other for I fear is not very good as it has been laying here some time, and was so full of dirt is to be obliged to be washed, but it may probably answer to have worked up for your own Negro Clothing.  The remainder of the Cotton will go in the Ship Francis which will sail some time this month.
  I have not yet received the first of Rawlins’s Bill but trust it will arrive before the Courts next year, when every step shall be taken to recover the money any; I understand Stedman Rawlins the drawer of the Bill is now in England.
  In consequence of the loss of the two Island vessels when I was in England, and the remaining one being very old, (in fact she was condemned when I first came on the Island is not seaworthy, but by repairing her on the Island I have kept her till this time) I am under the necessity of building a new one for the next Crop, which I shall undertake immediately.  A ship builder from Antigua offered to superintend it, but his terms were so very high (one hundred Ioes(?) about £165 Sterling) merely to look on occasionally, that I have not engaged him, I have offered him 100 Currency to lay the frame and hope he will accede to it, if not a shall undertake it my self.
  We are still without any quantity of rain, nor do I wish for any till the end of this month, by which time I shall have a good proportion of Land ready for Corn &c.  I am
Sir
              Your Most Obedt Humble
Servant
(signed) John James




Reference: Gloucestershire Records Office, Microfilm no.351, Section no.6, D1610 C24
Accessed through Simon Fraser University library

No comments:

Post a Comment